Project Life: Whale Shaker Page


Hello Everyone! 
Lets skip the 'It's been forever since I've posted' BS and jump straight in.

Today I am sharing my first ever COMPLETED Project Life page. The photo's from this page were ones I was taking to test out a new way I realised I could photograph my toddler and my newborn, once I saw the end results I knew I had to scrapbook them! Firstly I guess I will share with you my light bulb moment... My toddler is still to little to be able to support my newborn sons head properly and so the photos I can take of them together are limited... you can only take so many pictures of them sitting side by side in the bouncer or laying on the floor before it gets old. 

I realised that if I lay the boys down on the lounge with their backs on the seat and their little bottoms and legs up against the backrest, I could take a picture from above and then just rotate the picture until it looked as though they are sitting next to each other... what I didn't expect was the giggles that followed because of the way they were sitting. The only down side to this method of photographing your toddler or baby is the fact that if they have long hair it may hang weirdly...



For this page I decided to keep it clean and simple. After browsing through my cards I decided the black and lime colour combination was perfect for this layout. I used cards from the WRMK Love Notes and Heidi Swapp's Favourite Things Collections as well as a few random cards from my unlabelled collection (these are cards I have taken out of their box and then forgotten which collection they belong to and so I have popped them into a box of random mismatched cards). The whale die cut is handmade from a printed image of a whale I found using Google Images and the sequins are from Studio Calico. The shaker card I made by printing the whale onto cardstock, I then fussy cut around it leaving a 2mm boarder. I mounted the whale element onto a piece of 3x4 cardstock of the same colour using double sided foam tape. I then cut a 3x4 pocket from a damaged page protector I had and slid the whale card inside.  


I just adored the colours of these sequins and was so glad to find a way to use them in my layout.  I picked out the green, black and white/grey sequins from the mixed pack and popped them inside, I also added some little hearts. The hearts were originally sticky on the back but because I have had them so long when I peel them off the backing paper the stickiness is left behind and I am left with a nonsticking heart that was perfect for my shaker pocket! Last but not least I folded over the edge of the pocket and taped it down with some tape and slid it into place!


My journalling for this card didn't come together until almost the end of the page. I had so many different things to write about but ended up simplifying everything and just went with what the actual photo's reminded me of and how they made me feel. I used my printer to print text on the journaling card... It was my first attempt at printing this way so everything is slightly misaligned and believe it or not I did try to reprint and learnt the hard way that if something is too far to the left you actually need to move your next card to the left too... For some silly reason I moved my next card to the right and it ended up much worse (I'm blaming baby brain) In the end I decided that I could live with the text the way it is and popped it the pocket page and moved on... the fact that it was the last of that card that I had had absolutely nothing to do with it! 



The black and white card was my problem card... I struggled with this one. I wanted so desperately to use the 'Enjoy This' acetate but I loved the clean crisp look of the layout and so I didn't want to layer it over a photo or card but then I thought leaving it clear was a waste of a nice overlay. I also had the problem that I had originally wanted to use a clear sticker with the words 'hello baby' on the lime circle tag but it combined with the acetate and the lime 'this' chippy made the pocket too text heavy. In the end I simply brushed a few strokes of white acrylic paint to the back of the acetate card, a quick and easy fix that ended up being exactly what I think it needed. My order from Sassy Scrappy arrived along with my Simple Stories Carpe Diem fundamentals cardstock stickers and that little anchor sang out to me... a few enamel dots later and I was finished!

                                                   post signature

No comments: